Skip to main content

Recently added items

Below is a list of all the recently added content, ordered from newest to oldest.

(History Article)
Born in Ste-Agathe-des-Monts in 1916, Jean-Jacques Bertrand attended the Séminaire de Saint-Hyacinthe and later, the Université de Montréal where he studied law.
(History Article)
To date the only Premier of Quebec native to the Eastern Townships is Daniel Johnson Sr., who was born in Sainte-Anne-de-Danville in 1915.
(History Article)
To date, Louis S. St-Laurent is the only Canadian Prime Minister born in the Eastern Townships. His life began in Compton in 1882. St-Laurent's parents, a French Canadian father and an Irish mother, ran a general store and were of modest means.
(History Article)
Sir Wilfrid Laurier, one of Canada's most illustrious Prime Ministers, spent much of his adult life in the Eastern Townships. Laurier, who was born in Saint-Lin in the Laurentians in 1841, studied law at McGill University where he received his degree in 1864.
(History Article)
The young boy was standing in front of a small wooden table on which laid a birthday cake with four lit candles. You could see the gleam in the little guy’s face, and his underlying smile of knowing that this was his day to be celebrated, and his day alone. Dressed in a clean white shirt, dark slacks, and a clip-on bow tie, we could sense what he was thinking as he continued his bright-eyed stare into the candles. We could almost feel his wonder at what other miracles life would bring, and that this birthday was certainly one of them.
(History Article)
The early history of the Eastern Townships Telephone Company is also the story of Carlos Skinner. A jeweller and watchmaker by trade, and a native of Waterloo, Skinner, according to writer Paul Delaney, was a "man of boundless energy with an abiding curiosity in new scientific developments."
(History Article)
Mail delivery in the Eastern Townships dates to about 1800. At that early date, virtually all of the settlers in the region were recent arrivals from New England.
(History Article)
The first newspapers in the Eastern Townships served the New England settlers who populated the region at that time.
(History Article)
Several commercial steamers have operated on Lake Memphremagog over the course of its history.
(History Article)
(Continued from Steamers of Lake Memphremagog, Part 2)
(History Article)
(Continued from Steamers of Lake Memphremagog, Part 2)
(History Article)
(History Article)
Up until the 1840s, the bridge in Sherbrooke was the only one across the St. Francis River.
(History Article)
The 19th century saw a massive railway boom all across the Eastern Townships.
(History Article)
For many years roads in the Eastern Townships were primitive and impassable to wheeled traffic for most of year.
(History Article)
(History Article)
The first settlers found no roads. They came to a land of virgin forest. They had to blaze their own trails, and find their way around swamps and over streams.
(History Article)
The major lakes and rivers provided the only way to travel in the Eastern Townships before the area was opened for settlement. The two major lakes were Champlain and Memphremagog.
(History Article)
Richard Baldwin Jr. (1808-1877), who is considered the founder of Coaticook, settled on what is now Child Street in Coaticook in the early 1800s.
(History Article)
One of the most important men to arrive in a pioneer community was the blacksmith. The term "blacksmith" is derived from the words "black", meaning black metal, and "smite", meaning to strike hard. The blacksmith performed a number of services vital to the community, the primary one being to keep horses' hooves in good condition.
(History Article)
The first trade in the Eastern Townships was the making of potash.