Skip to main content

Restoration of Sir John Johnson Family Vault

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

--December 9, 2013.

In 1967, the United Empire Loyalists’ Association of Canada formed its first branch in the Province of Québec. And this new branch chose to honour both Canada’s Centennial and Sir John Johnson, a great Loyalist, by naming the branch, Sir John Johnson Centennial Branch. Since the Province of Québec was the home of Sir John Johnson for so many years and many members of his Regiment came to live in this part of the country, it seems most fitting that this new branch be named in his honour.

larger_vault.2_0.jpgSir John died in January 1830 and was buried beside the remains of his wife and four of their children in the family vault on the south side of Mount Johnson (now known as Mont Saint-Grégoire, near the village of Saint-Grégoire). It is this crypt that was accidentally bulldozed 56 years ago and that is now being restored. In 2011, the Restoration of Sir John Johnson Family Vault was accepted as a UELAC 2014 Centennial Project.

To learn more about this project, click here for the latest newsletter of the Sir John Johnson Centennial Branch, UEL!