--September 21, 2016.
One of the missions of the Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network (QAHN) is to alert and report upon heritage at risk – whether it be buildings, artifacts, monuments or the outdoor world of landscape, manmade or natural. We have been following the fate of Trinity Church and Epiphany House, Iberville, in Saint-Jean sur-Richelieu for a number of years.
This 1841 originally Anglican church and adjacent double-house vicarage was constructed by William Penderleaf Christie, the son and heir of Gabriel Christie who at one point, owned seven large seigneuries in the Richelieu River valley area, stretching from Lacolle to Chambly. These buildings had fallen into ruin through neglect and vandalism and it did look like they would disappear altogether.
However, a very active local citizens’ group, Les amis de l’église Trinity, and the municipal council of Saint-Jean, worked together and received grants from the Quebec government, plus local funding, to restore this site before it became too late. Work began on the site this spring and when QAHN visited Trinity and Epiphany once again on September 20, it was encouraging to see what progress has been made so far.
Best wishes and support from all of us at QAHN are offered to the people and municipality of Saint-Jean who are in the process of restoring and renewing life to these interesting stone buildings that will ultimately serve as venues for cultural activities.