Skip to main content

ETRC and SHS Team Up on New Publication

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

--November 25, 2010

The Eastern Townships Resource Centre (ETRC) has teamed up with the Stanstead Historical Society to produce a special publication. The new publication, which is a combination of the ETRC's Journal of Eastern Townships Studies (JETS), which is published twice a year, and the Stanstead Historical Society Journal, which normally comes out once every two years, focuses on Carrollcroft as a theme.

Carrollcroft is the former home of the Colby family, who were prominent in Stanstead in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The house, which was built in 1859, was transferred to the Stanstead Historical Society in 1992. It has served as the home of the Colby-Curtis Museum ever since.

The joint publication has been co-edited by Peter Southam, a former professor at Bishop's University and currently a member of the board of the Stanstead Historical Society, and Jean Manore, a professor at Bishop's.

According to Stanstead Historical Society president Ann Montgomery, the process to bring this publication to fruition began about two years ago as part of the commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the construction of Carrollcroft. "We're publishing this journal," Montgomery said, "in honour of the house."

Colby-Curtis Museum curator Pierre Rastoul told the Record that the publication includes contributions from a number of authors, with articles focusing on everything from the architecture of the house itself, to Carrollcroft's collection of paintings, to its archival holdings.

Copies of the journal are now for sale at the museum and the ETRC.