Skip to main content

Toll Bridge, Richmond

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

medium_richmond.cb_.jpgUp until the 1840s, the bridge in Sherbrooke was the only one across the St. Francis River. Like many rivers in the Eastern Townships, the St. Francis was crossed by means of ferries at villages situated along its course. Such was the case in Richmond until the first bridge was erected there.

That first bridge was a massive covered bridge, measuring 222 metres (730 feet) long with four arched spans. Equipped with a toll, it survived until it was replaced by a steel bridge in 1882.

Note the lumber yard in this photograph of the old bridge, and the toll-keeper’s house on the right.