Skip to main content

Bishop's University

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

medium_university.jpgBishop's University in Lennoxville was founded in 1845 under the sponsorship of the Anglican Bishop of Quebec, George Jehoshaphat Mountain. Chartered to grant degrees in 1853, the school in its early years it was primarily a centre for classical education and the training of the Anglican clergy.

For a number of years, Bishop's had its own medical school. Non-denominational since 1947, it is the only English-language university in Quebec outside of Montreal. Specializing in the liberal arts, Bishop's University grants undergraduate degrees in business, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences, and graduate diplomas in education. A respected school with a long history, the university serves both the regional anglophone population and students from away. The present enrollment is over 1700.